Thursday, June 13, 2013

Resting

To everything there is a season,
a time for every purpose under heaven.
Ecclesiastes 3:1

I recently felt called to quit my job, so I did.
I was really excited. 
I thought I'd be able to get so much more done at home and see more people.
Well, I have gotten stuff done, and seen people. 
But I have realized something: I get restless.
After the first week I felt restless.
Especially since it's summer time.
I usually have millions of things going during summer.
Camps, World Changers, community events etc..
I love that type of thing, but now I am doing nothing.
Everything I have done in the past I felt the Lord telling me not to do.
So, here I am restless.

Ecclesiastes says that there is a purpose for everything. 
That means every season we are brought into there is a purpose.
It could be a crazy season of busy schedules and little sleep, or it could be similar to mine-- a season of not being involved in much.
If you are anything like I am you feel restless after the newness wears off.
I keep praying asking the Lord "What am I supposed to do?"
No response.
"Lord, Where should I be involved?"
No response.
"Lord, What do you want for me?"
"Rest in me Sarah."

Sometimes we ask the wrong questions.
He doesn't always want us to ask for what we see.
He wants us to ask what He sees for us.
His plan is a lot better than our own.

Rest in the Lord, and wait patiently for Him
Psalm 37:7a

When we learn to rest in the Lord and wait patiently for Him, He will lead us into our calling.
It's not an easy task.
But, once we learn to rest it becomes as easy as breathing.
We will find ourselves continually resting in Him.
Patience comes and before we know it the Lord is moving through the path opening and closing doors leading us to where He wants us without the detours that we find.
I am still learning this.
But, I am getting a lot better.
I've realized that it's a continual prayer asking the Lord to come rest with me.
I have to continually ask Him to teach me how to rest.
He continues to prepare me for the next season before I know what it is.
The more I practice the easier it becomes.

Sometimes He just wants us to take a step back and rest.
Let him do the labor. 
Rest in the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment