Thursday, June 6, 2013

Don't be Timid

A while ago I had someone pray for me and he said something that stuck out to me:
"Don't be timid."
I hadn't thought of it in a while but the Lord brought it up yesterday and again today.

"Don't be timid."

It is so easy for me to be timid.
I continually think, "I am not old enough to say something."
Another famous one I've said over and over, "I'm just a kid."

I started reading Jeremiah this morning and I realized that we are like Jeremiah in so many ways.

"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you;
Before you were born I sanctified you;
I ordained you as a prophet to the nations."
Then said I:
"Ah, Lord God!
Behold, I cannot speak for I am a youth."
"Do not say, 'I am a youth,'
For you shall go to all to whom I send you,
And whatever I command you, 
you shall speak. 
Do not be afraid of their faces,
For I am with you to deliver you," says the Lord.
Jeremiah 1:5-8 

Jeremiah was probably between 13-17 when the Lord told him this.
Jeremiah had a calling on his life. 
Being timid wasn't a part of that.
Jeremiah was told not to be afraid.
In other words he was called to not be timid.
The Lord God was his deliverer.
He still is.
How often do we refuse to listen to what God says quietly because of our timidness?
How often do we mistake Gods voice for our timidness?
I don't know about you but I know I have been there, done that, and bought the t-shirt.
This is something the Lord has been teaching me since I went to Africa in February.
God didn't create us to be timid.
The Lord has had a call on our lives since before we were born. 

While I was in Africa I heard the words "NO REGRETS."
The phrase took a whole new meaning for my life in Africa.
We often associate "NO REGRETS" with "YOLO" (You Only Live Once), typically meaning, party hard.
But, God said something different to me.
He said "Sarah, I want you to have NO REGRETS."
I realized that God wanted me to recognize who He is everyday.
He is the same everyday.
He gives us opportunities to love constantly.
We choose to be timid.
I wait to listen until my heart is beating out of control and His voice is so overpowering that I can't do anything else.
When I was in Africa I decided that I needed to listen to God constantly.
I  started to pray first and think later.
I started to love first and think later.
I started to see how God is ready all the time.
He doesn't always give us flashing lights and big signs.
It is a still small whisper at times and sometimes we have to really press in.
So I did.

When I came back my heart was changed. 
I went on with my life and it was busy.
I had a lot of adjustments to make (marriage), a reception to plan, and of course a job.
In the midst of all this there are tons of hurting people around me.
It broke my heart.
That's when I felt God saying, "NO REGRETS" again. 
I remember thinking, "God, this isn't Africa." 
He said, "I know, Sarah, that wasn't just for Africa."
Refusing to timid is for everywhere. 
God didn't call us to be timid.
He called us to be "A fortified city and an iron pillar,
And bronze walls against the whole land,"
That's what God told Jeremiah.

"For behold, I have made you this day
A fortified city and an Iron pillar,
And bronze walls against the whole land-
Against the kings of Judah,
Against its princes,
Against its priests,
And against the people of the land.
They will fight against you,
But they shall not prevail against you.
For I am with you," says the Lord, "to deliver you."
Jeremiah 1:18-19

He made me to be an iron pillar and the bronze walls against the fight.
I am a pillar of love.
I am a wall of protection.
I am a city of healing and restoration. 
That is who God made me. 
He made me to continually be in communion with Him.
He made me a safe place for hurting people to find Him.
I found myself changing my entire mindset.
I was looking for what the Lord saw,
 listening to what the Lord spoke,
 and 
doing what the Lord did.
Why?
Because that is what we are called to do.
The Lord will deliver us from fear.
He will deliver us from rejection.
He will deliver us from timidness.
He wants us to speak into His people.
He wants us to love His people on a new level.
He wants us to reach them on His level.
Our level is timid and prevents us from loving deeper because we fear rejection.
The Lord is with me.
The Lord is with you.
He is always faithful.
He NEVER fails.

Don't be timid.
We are called to love with no regrets.

No comments:

Post a Comment