Monday, September 23, 2013

Foster Relationships

 In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself.  After all, no one ever hated their own body, but they feed and care for their body, just as Christ does the church—
Ephesians 5:28-29

"BUT THEY FEED AND CARE FOR THEIR BODY, JUST AS CHRIST DOES HE CHURCH."
This verse could take the meaning to someones heart of how to treat your spouse, or just an example of Christ's love and how He treats the church. Today, I want to take it back to just people in general.
The Lord as been speaking to me about the word "Foster." What does that mean? The other day I was feeling upset, insecure and my worth started to drop. I felt like I didn't know anything about what I was doing and everyone around me did and they just went on. It was almost like a play, one small act is losing it because they can't remember their line but the mains are pursuing greatness on their own and forget about the small act. I was praying and praying "God, why do I feel this way? I know nothing! Why am I even here right now? There are other things I know I could be doing." I went on complaining and whining for another few minutes and when I quieted down and listened He said, "Foster" I piped up and asked more questions. "What does that mean? What are you saying?" He responded, "Sarah, foster relationships." I started to go through a list in my head to figure out the definition of foster. Foster care, foster parents, foster home.... What do they do?  They care for, raise up,  help children develop in who they are. I looked up the definition of foster and here it is:

foster
 vb.
to promote the growth or development ofto bring up (a child, etc);
 rearto cherish (a plan, hope, etc) in one's mindchiefly  ( Brit ) 
a. to place (a child) in the care of foster parents 
b. to bring up under fosterage — adj5.( in combination ) indicating relationship through fostering and notthrough birth: foster mother ; foster child6.( in combination ) of or involved in the rearing of a child bypersons other than his natural or adopted parents: foster home
I realized this is who we are called to be. Just as Christ does the church, we are called to nourish each other. We come along side one another and promote growth, help them develop who they are in the Father. We are called to cherish each other and raise up one another. Sometimes it is so hard to let someone take over where you are at because you don't think they are ready or you can't let go. But, if we foster someone and raise them up in their skills and promote their hearts the how much easier is it to let them take over and pursue the Father's heart. In all we do we should care about others hearts. It's so easy to pursue our own stuff and not even realize the person next to you is drowning. All it takes is one look to the left or right and grab hold of their hand. It's time to set a standard that brings an open door to fostering relationships. That standard brings a vulnerable heart and it might be uncomfortable because we might not know what to say to someone who is hurting but the Father does. All we have to do is love, encourage and promote growth. All we have to do is foster their heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment