Tuesday, October 15, 2013

The moment where Jesus stops being a story and becomes a reality

I have felt this story for a week now.
I told it at Wednesday night church and I haven't been able to just let it go.
The activity was: Share a moment when you felt Jesus in your life.

I was 15 years old at World Changers.
(For those of you who don't know what World Changers is, it is a youth trip where we meet and build on low income and disabled homes for a week. GOOGLE IT.) 
My parents were separating, and I was so angry.
My relationship with my mom was at it's worst. 
She was a chaperone and I honestly cannot begin to describe what I felt.
Being real, I was a huge brat. 
My best friend at the time told me and we all know that when someone tells you something true it only makes you MORE angry.
I was just that, MORE angry. 
In World Changers there is one evening during the week where we don't have a speaker just worship and prayer.
After I received this truth slap to the face I went up to the service to escape from chaos.
I sat down in worship and Holy Spirit was moving. 
People around me were encountering the Lord and I was trying to numb my heart.
Then an old hymn begins to play.
"Jesus paid it all, all to Him I owe. Sin had left a crimson stain He washed it white as snow. 
Lord, now indeed I find thy pow'r and thine alone
can change the leper's spots
and melt a heart of stone."
I'm tearing up remembering all the emotions.
He melted my heart of stone.
Jesus Christ paid MY debt and raised this life up from the dead.
I broke down, I felt the Lord say "Sarah, I paid your debt, don't you think I paid your moms debt too?"
I began think, "Who am I to hold on to that anger?"
I began to repent and let Father God love me. 
Of course the song moved right on time. 
"I'm coming back to the heart of worship."
Oh and did I come back to the heart of worship.
I came back and I poured my heart out in worship.
That night, Jesus Christ became a reality in my life.
He stopped being a story I hear about every year on Easter and Christmas.
Jesus Christ became a person who is alive and moving.
That night the reality of Jesus began saving my life.
The timing was impeccable. 
Two months later my brother died,  and within a year my parents were officially divorced.
If I hadn't had that encounter with Jesus, the thought of where I would be is almost unbearable.
I know I wouldn't be married to my dream.
I would have never have been to Africa.
And I wouldn't believe in restoration of relationships.

I am sure you are wondering what the point is, or maybe you are just crying like me.
My point is:
Jesus Christ melted my heart of stone and carried me through every single moment of my life.
Where I felt no hope, He hoped for me.
Where I felt helpless, He helped me.
Where I was lost, He found me.
and 
Where I was bound, He set me free.
He still does.
The moment where Jesus stops being a story and becomes a reality changes your life.
It moves your heart where it has never been moved.
It brings you to a place you never imagined you could be.
I just want you to realize how incredible that moment is.
Maybe you've been there? Maybe you haven't?
Either way, there is NOTHING I would change about that moment. 
I encourage you to reach for your moment.
It's there, like a fresh ripe fruit for the picking.
It's just waiting for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment